Face to Face With the Future

Karli Bainbridge, Staff Reporter

I look at myself now, 15 years old, wondering when I stopped paying attention to how fast time was getting away from me. My 16th birthday is in January, and I haven’t even gotten my permit. I had it in my head that I had time, but time is running out. I won’t even get a license until I am 17. But that is only one of many examples of how fast time can rush by you. That’s why I think you should not waste that time being stressed. I try to think of memories, or times where I wasn’t stressed about something. Stress makes time that you could’ve been living go in a blink of an eye. But I feel like there is always something in the way of being completely happy.

The last time I can remember I was completely happy was summer of 2020, which is pretty sad considering it felt like the world was ending. But at the same time I didn’t have responsibility. No job, no school, and a good group of friends. I miss my friends I had then. They made my life feel like a constant dream. They opened my eyes enough to where I could watch myself grow up a little more.  I think about them often. How we laughed, smiled, and cried together. But as time passed by we lost each other. I see them in the hallway, and I can’t help but want to cry.  They were such a big part of me realizing how much little things mattered.  I wish I could tell my past self not to let those types of moments pass, because once they do, you’ll never get to feel them again. They will just be a memory. That should be a lesson to anyone really, once you get to high school every moment should count, because soon you will be graduating, watching the people you grew up with get handed a diploma.

I have never really thought about my future until now, or been concerned that my 30 year self would be happy with what I did in my teenage years. But now everyday it’s a wrench in my stomach that I have to make every day count or else I will never find happiness in my life. A bit dramatic, but as you get older it does become important. A life isn’t well lived if you don’t actually live in it. I’m questioning myself on why I want my column to be about this, but I think my answer is that if 50 people read it, one person would realize that everyone knows time flies, but when you just sit and watch it you won’t get anything out of life. Instead try living in every moment, because I don’t think I have, and I realize that now. I’m going to try, but I want everyone else to recognize and try to. There’s no point in not trying.