Reading Recommendations

Reading+Recommendations

Charlie Messa, Staff Reporter

Lots of people really hate reading. That is ok; sometimes you just need to find the right book to read, and then you might really like to read. I am going to provide you with some good books to read that will either make you laugh, cry or both.  

I read a lot of books. Maybe four or five novels a week. I love reading. It is a good escape from things you would rather not deal with at the time. You can go to different worlds and times with reading all while staying in your home. That is even easier when you find a really good book that you are invested in. I read really fast, which is why I can finish multiple books in one week. A lot of people can’t do that, and that is fine. I read a lot at home, in the car, in between classes if I get there early and if I’m waiting like to go to the doctor. I like reading sci-fi books, horror, dystopian and historical fiction. Pretty much anything that is a fiction book is good in my opinion. 

The first book that I would recommend is called “Freshman” by Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivison. It is a really funny young adult book. It is about a girl named Phoebe. She is a freshman in college and the book is about all of the struggle that she goes through in her first year. It is based in Europe so it is also kind of fun to read the book and hear how they talk in that part of the world.  I loved this book when I read it. It was really fun but at the same time very humbling. It doesn’t end in a happy ever after, but it still has a very good ending. 

The second book that I will recommend is called “Second Chance Summer” by Morgan Matson. This book is sad, but it is also funny. It is about a dad who is dying of cancer. He wants to spend one last summer in the town that they used to go to every year. It is hard to read the book sometimes because it is so sad but there are also parts that make you laugh. It makes you think about things that other people go through when there is something really hard happening to them. 

One more book that is one of my favorite books of all time is called “Crescent City” by Sarah J. Mass. This book is about a half-fae named Bryce Quinlan whose best friend was brutally murdered. She partners up with a fallen angel named Hunt Athalar, together they try to find who killed Bryce’s friend before it happens to anyone else. This is a book that includes angels, fae (a type of fairy that is human-sized and in charge of nature), demons, vampires and other supernatural beings. If you do like this kind of book, it is the book for you. It is an amazing book that has me reading it multiple times to see what I missed. 

My last recommendation is a series, and that is why I saved it for last. The series is the “Court of Thorns and Roses” also by Sarah J. Mass. This is one of my all time favorite series. It is a young adult book. It is about a huntress that is taken from her family by a fae king for killing a wolf that was actually a fae. The book goes through what happens to her after she is taken into the fae land. The series consists of five books including “A Court of Thorns and Roses”, ‘A Court of Mist and Fury”, “A Court of Wings and Ruin”, “A Court of Frost and Starlight” and the last book is “A Court of Silver Flames”. The last book  comes out February 16, 2021,  I am very excited for this book to come out. This is a very good series that will have you sitting on the edge of your seat waiting to see what happens next.

Sarah J. Mass is an amazing writer and has some amazing books. One series that I didn’t mention is the “Assassin’s Blade” series, which is a great series. 

I love most books that I read. The ones that I recommended are some of my favorites. But there are also lots of other books that are really good. Some of them are, “Dune” series by Frank Herbert, “The Taking” by Dean Koontz, “The Exorcist” by William Peter Blatty and “The Shining” by Stephen King. Most of these books are horror or sci-fi. Both of these genres are exciting to read, plus some of them are movies. 

If you are looking for a good book to read these are some great options and you may enjoy them very much. They are all books that I love and hopefully you will too. There are lots of other books out there that are really good. If you are having trouble finding a book keep looking the right one is out there. Hopefully, these books will help you in your search for finding a new book and best of luck reading!